Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Occipital Neuralgia

Since Thursday I have been having incredible sharp, shooting pains pass through my head. When they would come on then it would make me flinch and sometimes even make me sick to my stomach. The backside of my head has been very sensitive to the touch. Yesterday I went to the doctor since the pain had been happening for 6 days. The doctor asked me many questions and felt around on my head. On the back of my head, he found a lipoma which is a soft fatty lump(must be diet time). The doctor diagnosed the pain as Occipital Neuralgia. He gave me three options if this was the true problem. They included removing the lump, which could cause damage to the nerve, I could also take medication which has major side effects or I could just deal with the pain and hope that it goes away. The doctor assumed that the lump was irritated possibly from a fall while snowboarding a couple of days before. I was pretty nervous when he found the lump since my eight year old nephew just finish treatment for his brain tumor which was removed a year ago. The doctor said that it was definitely not cancerous and is hopeful that the pain will go away on it's own. My head is still very tender, however, the sharp pains have occurred much less.

2 comments:

Mandy Chiappini Photography said...

hey hey adam!! so i've been liking from blog to blog realizing "hey i know this person!" ha ha kinda cool. how ya been!? whats new?

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

hey yeah we are still living in sammamish! we love it up there actually! i hope all is well... we will check out your blog here and there to catch up with ya. ha ha!